A Christmas gift for my sister in law who is possibly the easiest person in the world to fit. She’s so tiny she’s almost as fun to knit for as her kids!

The pattern was a little cumbersome to follow. You know those recipes that contain other recipes within them? So you have three or four different pages marked and have to flip back and forth between them? It was kind of like that.

For maybe the first time ever, used the recommended wool. A little splitty, but very shiny and great drape in the final product. I have about 5 balls left over and might use them – held double – to make a cowl.




These were Christmas gifts for the niece and nephew.

Turns out his is ‘tickly’ (i.e., no more 100% wool garments for him) and hers contained a classic knitting faux pas: couldn’t fit over the head due to a too-tight cast-off edge.

On the bright side, the fit was spot-on for both!

I switched it up and did twisted rib instead of straight K1P1 on the pink one and I think I’ve convinced myself to make this my default 1×1 rib. I like it so much better and it seems to be sturdier somehow.

I also did the sleeves flat and then seamed them and this I will not be doing again. Definitely not a fan, despite worshipping following big proponents of the method.

Pattern is highly recommended. Besides the twisted rib, the only modification I made was to do a 2-stitch i-cord for the drawstring instead of a braid. Luckily I prefer the look of the i-cord because braiding hurts my hands in a uniquely unpleasant way.

(He still wears it, because he’s a very sweet boy. And hers was easily fixed with a quick unpick and re-do.)


drylightningblog.wordpress.comI’d been avoiding participating in Very Shannon’s Summer Sweater Knitalong on two assumptions: one, that I prefer to work on smaller projects when it’s even remotely humid outside and two, that there was no way I would get a sweater done in time (excluding baby-sized ones). Then I whipped up a bunch of toques and before casting on for the next one I saw my third Fezziwig cardigan idling in a project bag.

I had messed up the pocket placement so I was going to have to do something about that and the only sleeve still needed a cuff. It was set aside when summer hit in favour of lighter, error-free projects.

It took several nights of work – finishing sleeves (boo!), fixing the pocket messes (double boo!), weaving in ends (yay! I actually kind of love that part…) – but it’s done now. Sure it’s a little too small, there’s a mistake in the cabling that I only noticed when I was photographing it, the pockets are “fixed” (read: passable, but far from subtle), but it will be a nice, warm layer for wearing around the house.


Cloud Weaving

I used bulky wool and roving for this guy so warped the loom threads 1/2″ apart, instead of 1/4″.  Next time, stick with 1/4″, I think – you can just adjust the weaving (going 2×2 instead of 1×1) if the quarter inch is too tight and then the hanging loops will both look better and hold everything in tighter.

And a preview of the current project, a sawtooth star:

Toque Factory

I’ve been churning out the toques lately.

Inspired by the Fringe Association Hatalong series and facilitated by Dianna Walla, I have two Laurus‘ in reverse greys and a Moon Sprites in grey and yellow. These toques constitute my first true colourwork projects – I don’t count stripes as colourwork because there are no floats – and I can see the addictive potential. I’ve always considered myself a texture-phile instead of a chromo-phile, opting for cables and garter and moss over Fair Isle, but these guys have opened my eyes (and lengthened my Ravelry queue…).

I think worsted weight toques might become my go-to gifts. They’re fast and satisfying to make, basically one-size-fits-all, and always well-received.

There’s also a burgundy alpaca hat for my baby niece, along the lines of Nicole Reeve’s Republic Hat (made mine smaller, with different crown decreases, and with a pompom).