A Christmas gift for my sister in law who is possibly the easiest person in the world to fit. She’s so tiny she’s almost as fun to knit for as her kids!

The pattern was a little cumbersome to follow. You know those recipes that contain other recipes within them? So you have three or four different pages marked and have to flip back and forth between them? It was kind of like that.

For maybe the first time ever, used the recommended wool. A little splitty, but very shiny and great drape in the final product. I have about 5 balls left over and might use them – held double – to make a cowl.




These were Christmas gifts for the niece and nephew.

Turns out his is ‘tickly’ (i.e., no more 100% wool garments for him) and hers contained a classic knitting faux pas: couldn’t fit over the head due to a too-tight cast-off edge.

On the bright side, the fit was spot-on for both!

I switched it up and did twisted rib instead of straight K1P1 on the pink one and I think I’ve convinced myself to make this my default 1×1 rib. I like it so much better and it seems to be sturdier somehow.

I also did the sleeves flat and then seamed them and this I will not be doing again. Definitely not a fan, despite worshipping following big proponents of the method.

Pattern is highly recommended. Besides the twisted rib, the only modification I made was to do a 2-stitch i-cord for the drawstring instead of a braid. Luckily I prefer the look of the i-cord because braiding hurts my hands in a uniquely unpleasant way.

(He still wears it, because he’s a very sweet boy. And hers was easily fixed with a quick unpick and re-do.)


drylightningblog.wordpress.comI’d been avoiding participating in Very Shannon’s Summer Sweater Knitalong on two assumptions: one, that I prefer to work on smaller projects when it’s even remotely humid outside and two, that there was no way I would get a sweater done in time (excluding baby-sized ones). Then I whipped up a bunch of toques and before casting on for the next one I saw my third Fezziwig cardigan idling in a project bag.

I had messed up the pocket placement so I was going to have to do something about that and the only sleeve still needed a cuff. It was set aside when summer hit in favour of lighter, error-free projects.

It took several nights of work – finishing sleeves (boo!), fixing the pocket messes (double boo!), weaving in ends (yay! I actually kind of love that part…) – but it’s done now. Sure it’s a little too small, there’s a mistake in the cabling that I only noticed when I was photographing it, the pockets are “fixed” (read: passable, but far from subtle), but it will be a nice, warm layer for wearing around the house.


Toque Factory

I’ve been churning out the toques lately.

Inspired by the Fringe Association Hatalong series and facilitated by Dianna Walla, I have two Laurus‘ in reverse greys and a Moon Sprites in grey and yellow. These toques constitute my first true colourwork projects – I don’t count stripes as colourwork because there are no floats – and I can see the addictive potential. I’ve always considered myself a texture-phile instead of a chromo-phile, opting for cables and garter and moss over Fair Isle, but these guys have opened my eyes (and lengthened my Ravelry queue…).

I think worsted weight toques might become my go-to gifts. They’re fast and satisfying to make, basically one-size-fits-all, and always well-received.

There’s also a burgundy alpaca hat for my baby niece, along the lines of Nicole Reeve’s Republic Hat (made mine smaller, with different crown decreases, and with a pompom).

Needle Case

An improvised case for my newly-purchased KnitPicks interchangeable circulars.

In a rare stroke of forethought, I sewed up the little channels before sewing all the way around the border and turning it right side out – it took a little fiddling, but turned out okay. Sure, the channels for the smallest ones aren’t narrow enough, but it has been doing the trick so far. drylightningblog.wordpress.comI’ve only made a couple of small projects with these so far, but they’ve been enjoyable to use. I was concerned that the tips might be too sharp since I’m used to significantly blunter Clover’s, but it’s actually made doing increases and decreases easier because the points get right in there. I have noticed that the screw-in part does have a tendency to loosen, but I’ve yet to have them come apart

Tiny Pants

Tiny Pants (

A delightful Megan Goodacre pattern.

Mostly posted to show the innards – I’m not sure why it took me so long to discover the technique of weaving in ends by splitting the backs of purl bumps (previously, I simply ‘traced’ the stitches and hoped for the best), but now that it’s in my wheelhouse I am smitten with the trick.

Felted Flats

Felted slippers were the order of the day last Christmas. I think I made 5 pairs.

Base pattern was Katie Startzman’s ‘Options Flats’ and I opted to add a faux buckle with button a la Melynda Bernardi’s ‘French Press Felted Slippers’.

I learned that they do require some kind of reinforcement in the sole. While wearing out a handmade gift is admittedly the ultimate compliment, the lifespan of these guys was too short. (I am fascinated by the way the knitted stitches magically appeared again after, I thought, being felted out of existence.)

Sleeping Bunny

A satisfyingly quick and rather adorable little bun-buns. In what will likely remain the highlight of my crafting “career” the young recipient immediately named it ‘I Love You Bunny’. A few more details on Ravelry.

Rope bowl made with ~30 metres of poly/cotton clothesline using rainbow zigzag. Technique from Nicole Blum’s Creativebug class ‘Stitched Rope Basket’.